Indiana Statesman

The Indiana Statesman got a new look this semester as the newspaper transitioned from its previous tabloid-size format to broadsheet.

The Indiana Statesman chose to go to a new format for several reasons, said Martha Milner, director of student publications. "The newspaper has a history of printing in a broadsheet (or larger) format, most recently from 1997-2011. While some college newspapers have been converting to the smaller, magazine-style tabloid, we found that that format did not offer the space the newspaper staff needed to be more creative with design. This format allows the Statesman to print larger photos, bolder headlines and more graphics."

The layout area of the Statesman now measures 10.25 inches wide by 21.5 inches deep and 10.25 inches wide by 10.25 inches deep.

"I think it's more flexible and offers more design options," said Alex Modesitt, Statesman editor-in-chief. "We have already seen through the first 10 issues that we've been able to do much more interesting designs."

"What I really hoped would happen, and what has happened, with the new format is that the staff approaches design differently," Milner said. "They lay out pages with photos and art in mind, as opposed to just text. Research has shown that bold elements on a page, such as large photos and headlines, attract readers. Ultimately, we hope this change offers the Statesman readership a more attractive publication."

The Indiana Statesman provides the campus community with coverage of news, features and sports and commentary and opinion. The newspaper is published three days a week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays during the fall and spring semesters and three times during the summer. Four thousand copies are distributed each day.

Contact: Allyssa Bennett, Student Media, Indiana State University, 812-247-3984