Documentary filmmaker visits ISU

Prize-winning documentary filmmaker John de Graaf visited Indiana State University March 31, 2014, to show his latest work and talk about video production and social activism.

De Graaf presented in several media classes and met with students associated with Sycamore Video, the ISU student video production group. In the evening, de Graaf introduced “The Great Vacation Squeeze,” a 30-minute production for public television, and talked about the work. The video, featuring interviews with travel writer Rick Steves and others and filmed primarily at Yosemite National Park, argues for the importance of taking vacations and examines U.S. and European vacation practices.

De Graaf has produced more than 15 documentaries for public television and has received more than 100 awards for his work. He also is the co-author of “Affluenza,” now in its third edition, and “What’s    the Economy for, Anyway?” De Graaf, who lives in Seattle, has written for numerous media outlets such as the New York Times, The Progressive magazine and Huffington Post. He is the co-founder of The Happiness Initiative and executive director of the Take Back Your Time campaign. He is a frequent speaker on filmmaking and on work-life balance.

His campus visit is co-sponsored by the Department of Communication and Student Media.